Notes to guests
Wi-Fi: Free Wi-Fi included.
Utilities: All utilities, crisp bed linens an fluffy hand/bath towels are provide. High chair, travel cot and booster chair available. Four hair dryers available.
Pets: Up to two well-behaved pets are welcome at £30 per pet, per stay.
Parking: Scratch card for 24/7 on-street parking provided.
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer for our guests/visitors.
Seagull House is ideal for those who want a truly memorable, spacious, self catering holiday, with the beach, harbour and town, restaurants and bars only a few minutes’ walk away. Extended views along Whitby’s East Cliff and harbour, including Whitby Abbey, can be seen from the second floor bedroom windows.
Seagull House is a mid-Georgian town house. It sleeps up to 8 people and incorporates a lounge, dining/kitchen facilities, utility, 4 bedrooms, a shower room and bathroom over 4 floors.
To the rear is an enclosed, private patio area with garden furniture and barbeque. There is also a sunny seating area to the front of the property.
A travel cot, high chair and stair gate are provided. Non-smokers only. A selection of children’s games, holiday books and DVD’s are provided.
Well-behaved dogs welcome by prior arrangement – but not allowed upstairs or in the lounge.
1). By Car:
• From the North: Take the A171 out of Guisbrough, and follow the road across the rolling hills until you’re suddenly greeted by a panoramic view of Whitby and the sea. Keep following the road all the way, and you’ll arrive in the town.
• From the South: West and South West, follow the A64 from York, then take the A169 from Malton, through Pickering and then across the North Yorkshire Moors, with stunning panoramic views. Stay on the 169 all the way down Blue Bank, through Sleights, and up the other side of the valley to a roundabout connecting you with the A171. Turn right, and follow the road all the way into town.
• From the South East (the East UK coast): Follow the A171 coast road North from Scarborough. Stay on the road all the way into Whitby.
2). By Bus:
The nearest bus station is 0.3 miles (6 minutes walk) away from Seagull House.
From all directions except the North (Scarborough, Bridlington, Leeds, York, Malton etc), use the Coastliner service. Full online schedules are available on their web site here:
From the North, come to Middlesbrough, then use either the X56 or 93 bus services to Whitby. The X56 runs along the coast road, and offers a stunning view across the bay to Whitby from Lythe, above Sandsend. The 93 comes across inland and gives great views of the moors – and a great panorama when dropping down “Skelder”, about 4 miles from Whitby.
Arriva timetables can be found on www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east.
3). By Rail:
Whitby train station is 0.3 miles (6 minutes walk) from Seagull House.
Most trains to Whitby come via Middlesbrough. The route follows the Esk Valley through some stunning countryside with wooded valleys, bridges and of course, the river Esk itself. It’s worth taking a trip on the train just for the views. For full train timetables to Whitby, use The Trainline:
Another way to get the train to Whitby is to make your way to Pickering, then take the steam train service across the North Yorkshire Moors to Grosmont, where you must change trains and travel the last 10 miles into the centre of the town. The journey across the moors is stunning, and the carefully restored steam trains add to the magic of the experience.
Bear in mind that the steam train services are limited, and may well be booked up in advance. See schedules and booking information here:
4). Food delivery: Sainsbury’s, Asda and the Co-operative all have a delivery service if you would like to order before you arrive.
3. Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
Please collect the house keys and your scratch card parking cards from Yorkshire Coastal Cottages (see address below) before arriving at the house.
We provide, free of charge, holiday accommodation scratch cards for your parking. Each scratch card allows you to park in Whitby’s Controlled Parking Zone (“CPZ”) for up to 4 days for each scratch card. We will provide sufficient cards for two cars for the duration of your stay. This enables you to park in the 2 hour “disc” and “permit holder” W zonal parking areas. You have to complete the scratch card details and show this in your car.
Pay parking, if needed, can be found at Cliff Street (500 feet), St Hildas Terrace (626 feet), Pavillion Drive (850 feet), West Cliff (0.2 miles) and elsewhere subject to availability.
4. Approach to the Property
The address of the property is:
Seagull House, 2 Wellington Terrace Whitby YO21 3HF
“Seagull House Whitby” is recognized as a searchable destination on Google Maps. The postcode “YO21 3HF” is also recognized on Google Maps.
The address of Yorkshire Coastal Cottages is: 29 Skinner Street, Whitby, YO21 3AH
5. Front Entrance to Property
• The front door is 900mm wide.
• There are 7 stone steps to the front door.
• The flooring inside the entrance is rush matting.
• Entrance to the hall is through an internal fully glazed door.
6. Rear Entrance to Property
• A wooden door (795mm wide) to the rear patio area is accessed from the rear street. There is one step over this door opening into the patio.
• One stone step from the patio leads to the house rear door (800mm wide). This opens into a rear lobby area.
• One step up from the rear lobby area is a fully glazed internal door (800mm wide) that opens into the ground floor hall.
7. Hall, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
• The hall, stairs and landings are well lit using ceiling lights with low energy bulbs.
• The ground floor hall has wooden floorboards.
• All the stairs and upstairs landings and passageways are carpeted.
• A stair-gate is fitted at base of ground floor stairs.
• 11 steps up the staircase from the ground floor hall/landing lead to a half-landing well illuminated by a large window. 6 steps then lead to the first floor landing.
• There are a further 15 steps to the second floor landing which is also well illuminated by a large window.
• 13 steps down from the ground floor hall/landing lead to the spacious kitchen/dining area.
• There is a banister on all the staircases, upstairs and downstairs, from the ground floor hall/landing.
• The lounge is carpeted and situated on the ground floor with level entry from the hallway.
• The door opening is into the lounge and is 800mm wide.
• The room has two large leather sofas and 2 single upholstered chairs. The chairs can be moved.
• There is a widescreen TV with remote control, a DVD player and a selection of DVD’s.
• There is a speaker into which a phone etc. can be plugged to play music.
• Lighting is natural daylight and by a chandelier and two table lamps with low energy light bulbs.
• There is fire that is for decorative purposes only.
• There are two dark-wood units, a coffee table and a lamp table as well a wall hanging unit. There is a selection of books and children’s games.
9. Kitchen/Dining Area
• The kitchen is situated in the basement and is 13 steps down from the ground floor hall/landing area.
• The entrance to the kitchen/dining area is 800mm wide. There is no door.
• The floor is flag-stoned.
• The kitchen/dining area is lit by daylight, a hanging lighting unit and two spotlight ropes.
• The oven door drops down and the handle is 700mm above the floor. The hob is 900mm above the floor.
• The laminated worktop and sink are 900mm above the floor.
• Fridge Freezer is available and the highest fridge shelf is 1500mm high and the lowest drawer in the freezer is 300mm high.
• Wood/coal burning stove in the kitchen.
• Farmhouse table and 8 chairs.
• Extensive kitchen units. Utensils racks on the wall with crockery and cutlery in drawers and cupboards.
• Tea-pot, kettle, cafetiere and filter coffee machine.
• Utility room door (700mm wide) opens into area with a dishwasher (850mm high) and washing machine (850mm high). Area also contains electricity meter and fuse-box with micro-switches. A small wooden door opens out to reveal the gas meter.
• Door (580mm wide) opens into storage area containing redundant boiler.
• Door (690mm wide) opens into storage area containing spare equipment.
10. Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
1). First Floor
• There is a 4’ 6” double bed sized room with TV, wardrobe, chest of drawers, vanity unit, side unit and lamp. The door opens into the bedroom and is 800mm wide.
• There is also is a twin bedded room with 3’ single beds, TV, wardrobe, two chest of drawers a side unit and lamp. The door opens into the bedroom and is 800mm wide.
2). Second Floor
• There is a 4’ 6” double bed sized room with TV, chest of drawers, side unit and lamp, vanity unit and lamp. The door opens in and is 755mm wide.
• There is also a twin bedded room with 3’ 3” single beds, TV and unit, wardrobe, side unit and lamp, chair, table and CD player with speakers. The door opens in and is 755mm wide.
• All bedrooms have light coloured, carpeted floors, natural daylight, ceiling lights and bedside lamps.
• Non feather bedding throughout.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
• On the first floor is a bathroom comprising of a toilet, basin with separate taps, heated towel rail/radiator and shower unit. Lit by daylight and LED down-lighters. The door opens out onto the landing and is 740mm wide.
• On the second floor is a large bathroom comprising of toilet, basin with separate taps, heated towel rail/radiator and bath with separate hand-held and wall-mounted shower units. Lit by daylight, chandelier and wall light with halogen light bulbs. The door opens into the room and is 755mm wide.
• Fire alarms are situated on the ceiling of the kitchen, ground floor, first floor and second floor landings. They are all electric
• There is no burglar alarm.
• There are two battery operated CO alarms in the kitchen and lounge.
Garden and Sitting Areas
• Private and enclosed patio area to the rear. Accessed by descending one step from rear external door. Door opens onto patio area.
• Cast iron table and 8 bistro chairs. Ivy partly covers wall. A variety of pot plants. Area for bin with coal and wood store. Barbeque area for disposable barbeques.
• External electricity master switch.
• Sunny area outside front door with several shrubs and a two-seater bench.
• Up to two well behaved dogs welcome on the ground floor (excluding the lounge) and also in the kitchen/dining basement area. Priced for each dog to be confirmed with Yorkshire Coastal Cottages.
• Ground floor hall/landing area and kitchen have good contrast between the floor and walls. The floors are either dark stained wood or flagstones with light walls. The rest of the house has light coloured carpets with walls that are painted or wallpapered in a light pastel shade.
• Mobile reception is very good.
• Free Wi-Fi with good coverage
• No landline phone.
• Whitby has a small hospital located at Springhill, Whitby, YO21 1EE. Tel. no. is 01947 604851. Website: http://www.york.nhs.uk. This hospital is 0.4 miles away (8 minute walk).
• The nearest main A&E department is Scarborough located at Woodlands Drive, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO12 6QL. Tel no. is 01723 368111. http://www.nhs.uk/Services/Hospitals/Services/Service/DefaultView.aspx?id=218194. The A&E department is 19 miles away (35 minutes by car)
• A list of emergency services and restaurants are listed in the welcome folder situated in the sitting room.
• Due to access restrictions Seagull House is not wheelchair friendly.